ELLENBOROUGH TABLE TENNIS CLUB
Sponsored by Bribar
"THE LEGACY"
"THE RECENT PAST & THE FUTURE"

On hearing of us for the first time people often wonder why we are named after the capital city of Scotland. Well we are Ellenborough not Edinburgh!. You  may think it is an unusual name  but the origin is simple.

The club started as an offshoot of Ellenborough Tennis Club long since defunct, and the school where we started was in Ellenborough Road, Wood Green.

The Carter brothers formed the club in 1936 and their family played a significant role in the club's history. There were at least four Carter brothers one of which, Roland, played Davis Cup for England in 1946/7 and his elder brother Wilf was probably the most important being Secretary/Treasurer for more than 25 years. He established the club and entered teams into the North Middlesex Table Tennis League. By  the end of the second world war we had moved to the Bowes Pavilion in Tottenhall Sports Ground, Palmers Green.

Old Clubhouse
The Old Clubhouse in Tottenhall Sports Ground,
The Player in the Photograph is John Tendler.

Moving from Palmers Green to our present site provided not only extra and enhanced playing conditions, but also more capacity for diverse activities.

This was an organic development rather than planned and saw groups such as Loose Ends, catering for divorced persons, The north London Referees Association ( Association Football), a Drama group, Broxbourne Bridge Group and others all using the new facility and bar.

So when the government introduced the CASC project, it was natural for us to take advantage of the mandatory 80% rate relief, Gift Aid and other benefits inherent in participating, for in truth, we were already way ahead of their objectives.

However as table tennis activities, the core of our existence increased, capacity for fringe events became diminished and today the club is operating 24/7 without alternative interests. The extension will enable many such pursuits to be revived.

An example of how the club has benefited the community would be with the Over 50 section, which now has some 80 members. When Picketts Lock closed we were approached by Enfield Council to see if we were interested to take over the single session they ran for this group. We agreed and over the years it has progressed to five session a week and we have picked up valuable workers, volunteers and committee members.

From small beginnings the club became dominant in the League and at its height had twenty teams and some eighty members.

Disaster struck in 1973 when just before the beginning of a new season the pavilion was destroyed by fire. Only by the valiant efforts of the then Chairman and Secretary, David Hope and Harold Webb respectively, did the club survive by rearranging all the fixtures at alternative venues dotted around the other league clubs.

The next significant name in the club's history is Oliver. It was the late Ken Oliver then a director of a local property developers, Fairview Estates, along with expertise provided by our current President, Harold Webb who caused the main body of the existing facility  to be erected in 1976.

A notable achievement came our way in 2002 when in the face of competition from more than 90 clubs from over 50 sports we won first prize of £10,000 as ''Sports Club of the Year 2002''. This event being organised by the Central Foundation for Sports and the Arts, and the   Central Council for Physical Recreation. (CCPR) and taking place  at Manchester United  F.C., Old Trafford, in the corporate suit. Over 1,000 sports personalities and officers were in attendance, as we were announced as Winners.

Old Clubhouse
A Group of Players Outside the Old Pavilion Clubhouse
in Tottenhall Sports Ground 1948-49
.

An  upgrade occurred in 2006 when a grant of £695,000 was obtained from the department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS). A  contribution of £57,500 from the club, and other smaller donations enabled an increase in the size of the playing area, new bar and social area, changing and showering facilities, all disabled friendly, completed on time and within budget. The grand opening was attended by our Patron, Lord Davies of Oldham, The Mayor of Enfield, Local MP Joan Ryan, and various officers of the English Table Tennis Association as it was then styled.

Then in 2013 our current Chairman, Keith Williams  oversaw the much needed  painting and complete  refurbishment of the playing area. From humble beginnings the club has progressed to its present status of Premier Club, Excellence Grade, the highest achievable rank awarded by Table Tennis England the sport's governing body. Our achievements have been minuted in the House of Lords and we pride ourselves on being family friendly, open to everybody, without exception, and acclaimed as one of the oldest and most respected clubs in the game. At the moment there is no spare capacity even for our table tennis requirements.

Playing Hall
Playing Hall After the Refurbishment in 2013

When the first refurbishment took place we decided to link the planning application to a Phase 2, which was granted. Unfortunately events were overtaken by the financial crisis and grants etc. dried up completely. With the improving economy we feel the time is right to embark on Phase 2. 

The benefits will be ; - Spare capacity in the daytime for hire, thus generating an income stream for the club and ensuring stability. We have had consultations with Enfield Council who are enthusiastic on possible uses due to a lack of sports facilities in the Borough.

-Resumption of the curtailed activities

-Ability to separate league matches and competitions from practise sessions.

-Ability to stage large events and tournaments due to extra playing arenas.

-Attracting more members and the increase in subscriptions that follow for the benefit of all.

Being in an officially designated ''Deprived Area'' members are charged less than £3.00  for seven days a week access. Juniors under 18 and persons in higher education pay half the standard subscription. It has always been the policy to keep subscriptions as low as possible and to encourage families to join, so they enjoy a 25% reduction on their combined fees. Coaching for Juniors and beginners takes place on Saturday and Sunday mornings for a fee of £1.00 per session for non members, designed to encourage maximum participation. Visitors from abroad registered with their National Associations may use the club, free of charge for three months. The Club is a voluntary organisation and has no paid staff.

Juniors with Trophies
The Future of any Organisation, the Juniors & Coaches
with a Mass of Trophies
.

 

"Disabled Access"

During the upgrade in the summer of 2006 we extended our premises. The extension has given us a larger playing area and facilities have been upgraded to include new toilet suites, larger changing rooms, a committee room, an office, storage space and a revamped entrance hall and social area, all of which are disabled friendly. The club took advice from Paul Baker (ETTA Facilities Development Officer), Sport England UK and fully complied with the local planning regulations regarding disability needs.

About us

Ellenborough Table Tennis Club
Craddock Road, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3SP
The Club Tel No: 020 8363 1585
Community Amateur Sports Club No. 05153
Club Location

Contact us

General Enquiry: David Wilson
Membership: Ron Smith 020 8363 8643 or 07957 450792
Hall or Table Booking: Joan Bayman
Website Admin: Bernie Kelly

Facebook & Twitter Admin: Sandy Nash
© Copyright 2016 Ellenborough Table Tennis Club